COVID-19 has changed everyone’s way of life. We have to adapt to this new reality. So do public transit and paratransit service in order to protect passengers and staff. Since the start of the pandemic, RÉGÎM has worked to limit the spread of COVID-19 in the territory of the Gaspésie and the Magdalen Islands. Compliance with Government of Québec and public health recommendations is of primary importance to us.
Public transit and paratransit service = essential services
On March 23, the Government of Québec announced that public transit and paratransit service were essential services and had to be maintained. RÉGÎM did so but limited its routes to essential travel. Regular service resumed on May 19. However, we are asking our passengers to comply with certain best practices as well as with public health recommendations.
Here are some best practices which RÉGÎM is asking its passengers to follow:
- Wash your hands as soon as you board the bus and avoid touching surfaces if you can;
- Wear a mask to protect each other. Protecting yourself also means protecting your loved ones;
- Only one person per seat if possible so that there are two metres between passengers;
- Avoid touching your face;
- Sneeze or cough into the crook of your arm;
- Stay home if you have COVID-19-like symptoms.
You can also obtain the RÉGÎM access card, offered free of charge aboard all our buses. The card lets you buy your tickets and passes online, so you no longer have to handle tickets or cash.
Masks are obligatory
On June 30, 2020, the Government of Québec announced that masks or other face coverings will be obligatory on public transit as of July 13, 2020. RÉGÎM is no exception. As a result, masks will be mandatory on all our buses as of July 13, 2020. If you do not have a mask, the bus driver will provide you with one.
Since the start of the pandemic, RÉGÎM has established additional cleaning and disinfecting measures in its buses to prevent the spread of COVID-19. All of our buses are disinfected between every outing.
Here are the additional preventive measures put in place to protect our paratransit service clients, who are sometimes more vulnerable:
- Clients with compromised immune systems (dialysis or cancer patients) are not paired with other passengers;
- A maximum of three clients are allowed together on the same minibus (except for people living at the same address);
- Taxi travel is limited to one passenger at a time (except for people living at the same address);
- RÉGÎM will not provide transportation to screening centres;
- All touch points for clients and drivers will be sanitized between each journey.
Current measures may change depending on developments and public health recommendations.
June 30, 2020, COVID-19 – Masks are mandatory on RÉGÎM buses
June 1, 2020, COVID-19 – Best practices on RÉGÎM buses
March 16, 2020, COVID-19 – RÉGÎM is still up and running